Since the day I began the journey of motherhood (the day I found out I was pregnant – August 17, 2012) I had no idea all the things that were in store for me. I’ve never experienced such joy and happiness. But I’ve also never experienced so many challenges. Challenges I’d willingly face over and over again, but challenges none-the-less.
I’m also a very fearful and paranoid person. And you take a fearful, paranoid person and give them a child that fear doubles. Then, you take a fearful, paranoid person and give them a second child-that fear triples.
So, here I am with my blessed family. My husband, of almost 4 years, and my two young children. And I realize that I need God now more than ever! I can’t do this alone!
I’ve recently gone through some small experiences (that I’d love to share on a post sometime) that have caused me to search the scriptures. Some of the scriptures I’ve found over the past couple of months I’ve come across randomly (but not so randomly really) and some I’ve made the effort to search out. Either way they’ve been so helpful. I’d like to share them with you. I pray they blessed you as they have blessed me.
1. Isaiah 41:10 “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
I came across this scripture when I was having a particularly rough day. So, I thought I’d search the scriptures for encouragement. And it was just what I needed! I looked up the word ‘uphold’ in the dictionary and it means to sustain, support, protect, and defend. I’m so grateful my God would do that for me!
2. II Timothy 1:7 “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”
This scripture speaks for itself. And I find myself always quoting it. Those feelings of fear and doubt as a wife and mother aren’t of God. He wouldn’t put that in my heart. So, I need to stop feeding those thoughts and claim the victory over my mind! Claim those thoughts of love and power God has for me.
3. Jeremiah 17:7 “Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.”
Another scripture that speaks for itself. When in doubt, when fear comes over you trust in the LORD! For whoever trusts in Him is a blessed man!
4. Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him; and He shall direct thy paths.”
I love this scripture because it’s so plain. And as a parent it’s so easy to think this is MY job. And to get everything done and to train up my children I have to do what I know to do. When we read here that we can’t lean on what we know. Because what do we know if Christ hasn’t touched our minds? In ALL thy ways acknowledge Him. Throughout the day it’s my desire to constantly have a prayer on my heart. To see Christ in all I do. Then, I can completely be lead of the Lord as I do the greatest job of my life-raising a family.
5. Psalm 61:2 “From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I.”
What a perfect verse! Whenever I feel overwhelmed and exhausted just lead me to Him! I know that in Him I can be renewed and find the strength to make it.
6. Psalm 121:1-2 “I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.”
This scripture came to my heart one night as I was rocking my youngest to sleep. I remember I was praying over my child as well as over a friend going through a trial. The scripture just popped into my mind which was such an overwhelming blessing. I remember beginning to cry and just thanking God for speaking to me through that verse.
7. Proverbs 12:7 “The wicked are overthrown, and are not; but the house of the righteous shall stand.”
This scripture is encouragement to just keep on serving God. It pays to serve Him no matter what.
8. Lamentations 3:22-24 “It is of the LORD’s mercies that we are not consumed; because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is Thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul: therefore will I hope in Him.”
I mess up as a mom. Almost every day. But His mercies are new every morning! I know that with each day He’s there stretching out His hand ready to help me make it through a new day if I just seek Him. He’s so faithful! Even when I forget Him-He remembers me and grants me new mercy every day.
9. Deuteronomy 6:7 “And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.”
I love this scripture written to parents on the importance of teaching your children the Word of God. It should be on the forefront of every conversation. Always lead your children to Christ! I want my children to have a knowledge of Christ and His Word. A desire to read the Bible. And that desire and knowledge is placed there by talking with them about it. A good reminder for me!
10. II Corinthians 12:9 “For my grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.”
I will do the best I can as a wife and mother. But I’m flawed and I make mistakes. But His grace is sufficient for me! And in those mistakes and weaknesses is when God steps in and makes up the difference. What a wonderful God we serve!